Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rotted Cab Corners

The only Logical explanation for a guy to repair this cab lies
in its sentimental value. He could have easily bought a used
one in better condition and saved some money. For starters,
there was over 100 differing sized holes to be welded, cracks
everywhere, bad cabmounts, and a lot of rust.

The repairs include, L/R outer & inner hinge pockets, L/R hinge
post patches, L/R inner & outer cab corners, L/R step rockers,
L floor pan, and patches everywhere!





Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where do I start? I decided the holes & cracks. I counted
over 50
just inside the cab

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I then decided to knock this fender out of the way to get it out
of the way!


Photobucket

Photobucket
Then it was odd little patches that look easy from the naked
eye but a bugger to form. There was a fair share of patches
like these with anything but flat surfaces. Always a task,
always!

Photobucket

Then the patch panels came. These inner cab corners are a pain
to cut out and
weld in due to location.

Photobucket

Then it was the R hinge pockets and hinge post patch.


Photobucket

Then I did the R cab corner & step. These cab corners
require a
good technique for proper fit. After you
cut & scribe, flange it as
shown and bend down the
flanged areas near the edges of the
cab corner body
line to suck the patch closer for a more flush fit.


Photobucket

Photobucket

My hand tells me this will only need a tad of filler.
I like when my
welds are able to disappear without
worrying about strength, and
this time they didn't
because I didn't flange it good enough or
perhaps I
didn't bend the entire flange area down just a tad.

After seeing how well it worked for the body line on
the cab
corner I have a hunch doing it very lightly on
your flanged
areas will lead to lowering your patch panel
so it's really flush
with your metal. Then again maybe it's
the harbor freight tool. :)
In any case, the boss is pleased
with it and so am I. Just looking to
get better, that's all.

Photobucket

This side is done!

Photobucket

Since we didn't have a patch for this I decided to leave the
levour and make
two patches around it since the metal is
good there . I'll finish the patch to the
right of the levour
on Monday and focus on the L side of the cab.


Photobucket
These look like Frankenstein at the moment. Strength is the key here.

Photobucket

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment